There are a few reasons why a video production Chicago expert would want to master their understanding of YouTube’s search function. For one, knowing how to mine content could help you find inspiration, competition or hard to reach material. Likewise, knowing how the platform’s search options work could help you categorize your own material so that’s it’s easy to find for others.
ReelSEO recently published an advanced guide to YouTube search options and operators. Below, we highlight some of their suggestions so that you can have a basic understanding of navigating the video site.
- Youtube automatically sorts search results by “relevance” and includes all result types (videos, playlists, channels, etc), but these results can also include “Featured” videos which are either popular Spotlight picks or Youtube partners’ content.You can tweak default search results using the tips below:YouTube Advanced Search Options, Commands & Operators
Youtube offers you to use its built-in filters and sorting options that hide behind “Filter” link:
As you can see from the screenshot above, you can use the 4 groups of options:
- Sorting (by relevance, date, view count and rating);
- Date frame (you can see videos which were uploaded today, this week or this month);
- Result type (channel, playlist, movie, show or 3D);
- Quality (HD, closed captions, long videos, videos from partners, creative commons, live broadcasts)
While the above options are pretty clear, there is one thing you may be unaware of:
1. You can switch between search options using commas in your search query
A comma is a less-known way to activate any of the above filters. For example, if you want to see recent Lady Gaga’s video clips in HD, all you need to do is to type: [Lady Gaga, HD]:
(The trick doesn’t work for sorting options though)
There’s no group, business, or community that’s too big or too small for goals that can be reached with the help of a thoughtful video marketing strategy. If you’re searching for some assistance with a Chicago video production project, call or email us today. We have over 25 years of experience and can help you develop a project from concept to completion! Our seasoned team will help you to produce the high quality products that you envision.