users have rated our services

What are views, anyway?

Online videographer Chicago popularity is measured by views, clicks, and shares, rarely by the amount of money a certain brand is making with their online activity. That being said, why do views really matter? After all, some of the most popular videos online are cats playing with dogs playing with squirrels.

Video View (in regards to online video production) – A view is initiated when an Internet user clicks the play button on a video player and proceeds to watch the video play for more than 50% of its total duration.

The problem with that is many viewers might pause a videographer Chicago clip before the 50% mark and then pick up that video at a later time. If there are user accounts involved, it’s not a problem. But if they switch machines during that process without a user account being attached, then the tracking problem comes into play. However, it’s not as big of a problem as some might think. If the viewer watched 51% the first time and then the remaining 49% later, it still only counts as one view. Alternatively, if the viewer watches 49%, stops and resumes at another computer, it is still only one view.

If the views are part of a user account it is easy enough to track the view, pause, continue of a single piece of content as one single view.

Auto-play videos or ads are not views, even though many people in the industry would like us all to believe so. However, with an auto-play, there is no guarantee that the video was in fact viewed. This has been seen in many places with videos playing in the bottom right hand corner of a long web page with the sound off and the user never even scrolling down to where the video production is playing. The only way to then be sure there is no fraud, is to not include any auto-plays as views.

Now video ads are a different sort of beast. No one really clicks a video player to get to an ad, well, not exactly. It depends on the types of ads that are being played but I can make a new definition for video ads.

Video Ad View – A video ad that is shown as part of a standard Video View. The videographer Chicago ad is played within the video player as part of the standard video stream or as an overlay within the video player itself. The video must play for more than 50% of its duration.

Voila! See how easy that is.

Check out ReelSEO for the whole story. Be prepared for a long read though.

For help using video production for your business, call or email us today!

Video Production Chicago
  • Reviews

    What our clients are saying about us…

    Tim McGee, Head of Sourcing at Avexis:

    “Based on our experience with Video One and having had the pleasure of working with Irwin, I would recommend both Irwin, Video One, and their services to any company looking to fulfill their photography and videography requirements.” More…

    Robert McSwain, Sr. Curriculum Developer & Technologist at Hyster-Yale Group:

    “My company hired Video One and Irwin and his team hit it out of the park for us. We were working on a short deadline and needed video production work in Chicago and I was unable to get my crew there on the time frame I was given. Video One tackled the project head one and communicated thoroughly with me throughout the process and got the job done.” More…

    Tim Donovan, Corporate Communications, at Fundbox:

    “I had a wonderful experience working with Irwin and Ryan from Video One. We hired Video One to produce a corporate case study video of one of our clients. The shoot was effortless and the team did a great job on editing. We will totally be working with Video One again. We highly recommend them! More…